Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Round 19 Spirituality

I definitely believe in God. Who can witness the cycle of life and not consider the miracles of birth, wounds healing, breathing, and heartbeats? Some higher being had to orchestrate the miraculous functions of nature, no matter what you name him or her. While I no longer regularly attend church services, my beliefs are strong. I hope that the years I did attend church helped me to learn to be a better person.

Now, my sprituality is practiced more when I do yoga. It helps me really meditate and connect with myself. I just really need to get back into doing it more regularly. I haven't been able to practice yoga during school terms because I always feel like I should be reading, researching, or on the discussion board.

The Mayo Clinic article, Spirituality and Stress Relief: Make the Connection was a big help for me. It taught me that spirituality "arises from your connection with yourself and with others, the development of your personal value system, and your search for meaning in life."

These questions from the article will help me define my spirituality
*What are your important relationships?
*Where have you found comfort?
*What gives you hope?
*What brings you joy?
*What are your three most memorable experiences?
*If you have survived losses in your life, how have you done so?
*What do you believe will happen to you when your physical life ends, and how do you feel about that?
*Describe a time when you felt comfortable and all was right with the world.
*Describe a time when your life was filled with a sense of meaning or you were filled with a sense of awe.

For the next several nights I will contemplate these as I move through some of my favorite relaxing yoga poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment